Friday, June 27, 2014

Don't Tread On Me! (please)

I feel sad about this. I'd never intended to put up a 'No Trespassing' sign. I had always assumed that most people respect the property of other, and those that don't weren't going to be deterred by a $7 sign.
Especially out where we live.
Eight years ago we bought this place, a five acre swath of woods in the middle of even more woods. We are miles from any retail establishment, our road is rugged and rough, un-striped and non-shouldered macadam.
People out here are generally of a certain type. People that don't want to live in a city, or even a town, they want seclusion, privacy and peace and quiet, away form the rat-race, away from busy-body interlopers.
Many of the property owners on this road own multiple firearms, raise an American flag and seem to have a lot of ATV's and camouflage clothing.  It is a pretty safe bet to say that at least eight out of ten of them vote Republican, if at all, and praise the Baby Jesus at least in public. A questionnaire passed around would get very, very predictable results.
Question 1. Bush or Gore?
2. Abortion?
3. Gay Marriage?
4. More taxes?
5. Immigration reform?
6. Eminent domain?
7. Prayer in School?

You get where I'm going.
Is that stereotypical of me? Well yes, I suppose it is, but in this neighborhood I'd strongly advise you not to bet against me on the results.
Not everyone, mind you, but a significant majority to be sure. I've looked over election results for the are. I know what I'm talking about here.
One of the hallmarks of that particular ideology is the principle, the ironclad, God-given sanctity of personal property rights.
So when I settled into this area I realized that I did not agree more than forty percent with the political views of my neighbors, but I didn't care. Also part of that espoused belief system, as well as a tenet of mine, is that what other people believe is none of anyone else's concern, as we all have a right to form opinions based on whatever reasoning we choose, even if it is no more articulate nor deeply-thought-out than a standard bumper sticker.
In fact, most of us out here rarely talk to each other anyhow, it's all part of that laissez-faire (live and let live) rural attitude.  We'll help out a neighbor if asked, not a problem. Need some gas? Fine take some of mine. Need to use a phone? Sure, no problem.
I like this lifestyle. In the eight years we've lived here we've had no problems with neighbors, at all. If anything they are kind, friendly and don't tend to snoop.
I should tell you something else about our property. Our little five acres was once part of a ninety four acre parcel. The owners of that original land passed away, the land fell into the hands of their heirs, who themselves already owned their own land across the county.
The house was quite modern, trimmed out well, but as part of a ninety four acre property no one, I mean no one wanted to buy it. So the heirs carved out a five acre section and sold that and the house, to us, at a much more reasonable price. At the time we bought the place the land was valued at $6,000 per acre. Yeah, do the math.
It was not good pasture or farm land either. Hilly, lots of crevices and ravines, very shallow soil and only partial tree coverage.
The only problem is that our five acres has the only road-accessible path to the rest of the land. Anyone that wants to look the land over has to tromp through the woods, over fences, very few paths. Or they have to come down my driveway.
In the years I've been here I know of only one or two people that have come to look at the land. I gladly granted access to it, because I was asked.
Problem two.
At the base of the steep land is a large, one or more acre pond. A beautiful thing. Mostly man-made I'm sure.



1 comment:

  1. Ok, Dennis, you have me hooked. Why did you have to put up the sign? I'll bet the pond.

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment, if you dare.